Before we know whether dandruff causes hair loss or not, we need to know what exactly dandruff is? Dandruff refers to dry and itchy flakes that build up on your scalp.
It is dandruff that makes you scratch your hair more and more when it is severe. It can be equally annoying for some people but it can be treated if proper precautions are taken.
Does dandruff cause hair loss?
Now, we need to understand whether it causes hair loss or not? It is to be known that dandruff and hair are not interrelated though; still they can be linked with each other. It is believed that often, hair fall doesn’t take place as a result of dandruff on its own.
On the other hand, keep itching your scalp often affects your follicles considerably which further results in hair fall. It is often seen that whenever you scratch your scalp and you have dandruff already, lots of hair will either fall on your shoulders or attire.
Dandruff is a condition that can affect any person irrespective of their age and sex. Though, it affects more in the case of boys after the puberty period.
For some people, dandruff can be less, while others may come across with severe dandruff which can further cause rashes on the skin. So, dandruff is also a cause of hair loss, we can say.
Moreover, along with dandruff, there are some other factors that cause hair loss such as poor diet, stress, drying of the skin, and a few shampoo and hair products.
A few medical conditions such as seborrhea dermatitis, scalp psoriasis, eczema, and scalp ringworm, etc. also have a direct link with hair loss. Though dandruff is also not a contagious disease it must be treated well on time.
There is another well-known fact that has recently come out as per a study that people who have hair loss due to dandruff often stop washing their hair on a daily basis.
It is advised not to stop washing your hair as it can deteriorate the situation more by making your hair become weak with flakes on the scalp and thereby make more hair fall.
On the contrary, it has also been observed that there are certain scenarios in the case of which the statement “Does dandruff cause hair loss?” holds untrue.
Since dandruff is not the only cause of hair loss, but other various factors including fungal infection, Lichen planopilaris, Folliculitis decalvans, dryness, and scratching of scalp, etc. also amount to hair loss.
How To Prevent Hair Loss?
Described below are some of the tips to prevent hair loss from dandruff:
- You are advised to see a dermatologist when options like dandruff shampoo and other treatments don’t work at all.
- If you notice your hair comes in bunches, it can be a sign of scalp or other hair issues.
- It is always recommended to wash your hair using shampoo on a daily basis. To not washing your hair frequently can enhance the risk of dandruff and hence cause hair loss.
- Whenever you buy a new dandruff shampoo, always remember to read and follow the instructions written there carefully. You also need to make your shampoo remain there on your scalp for a few minutes to make it more effective.
- Stay away from scratching your scalp too often but if itching is frequent, see a doctor.
- Stop making very tight hairstyles as it can destroy your scalp and slow down the growth of your hair.
- If you notice dandruff, just try to seek treatment at the earliest and use dandruff shampoo at first.
On the whole, you can now understand though, the problem of dandruff seems to be very prominent but it can be treated well on time.
Dandruff is also a cause of hair loss, but not alone. If the treatments and medications don’t let your dandruff go easily, just look for a dermatologist.